Sunday, August 23, 2015

French lessons, life's lessons

So, I started working as a French teacher at a school. I had not taught in nearly 2 years and was a bit intimidated at first by the amount of students in my class...

The timing was off and on, meaning that I looked for steady work but it also coincided with my training at school.
I started teaching, with an idea in mind, that it was temporary.

But once in the classroom, once I started teaching the tricks and the concepts of the language and saw all these kids being interested in what I had to say, really understanding, it all came back to me. Why I liked it. Why I was good.

Explaining the subtleties of the phonetics, training people to dare to sound different, letting them know through a simple exercise of presenting themselves, how to identify who they are, how to find the one thing they want to be and how to be real.

Through
Bonjour, je suis Alain, we can cover " I am shy, I like animals, I do not like bullying. I believe in friendship" and I am lonely, and even " I did not know almost everyone felt like me."
Being a not very popular girl till I hit puberty and then being looked from afar, it took me nearly 2 decades to find friends on facebook and realize people in my school did not avoid me because I was weird and poor-er, but because I was intimidating and- according to most- pretty.
I had no idea.

I want these kids to learn how to speak another language because it is a tol and it educates their brain. i want them to open their minds to other cultures. But I also want them to open up and have meaningful discussion and real moments with themselves and the people around them.
And I know I am the person to do so.

Through:
"Bonjour, je suis Michel, Ahmed, Franceska, Pernille..." they will say
"I  do not know who I am yet, but I am on my way of discovery".

And they will learn how to speak perfect French.


No comments:

Post a Comment